Personally, I wouldn't bother trying any of these diets because they are all a bunch of hype. Yes, I know it hurts to hear it but there are no shortcuts to weight loss. The best way to lose those stubborn pounds with the best results is by using an approach that involves common sense and a favour of nutritious eating instead of dieting.
The Lure of the Fad Diet
When people are desperate to lose weight, they want to do it in a hurry. Fad diet marketers tend to take advantage of this desperation and use the promise of fast results to reel you in.
Quick does not always equal better. In fact, when it comes to permanent weight loss, slow and steady always gives the best results. Here are two of the main reasons these scam diets don’t work:
- They only deliver short-term results. Most fad diets will require you to drastically reduce your caloric intake, which then causes your metabolism to slow down. Once you start your regular eating habits, you’ll gain the weight back almost immediately.
- They ruin your health. Fad diet plans deprive you of some of the essential nutrients that you need for good health. This results in malnutrition, fatigue, damaged organs, hair loss, and loss of lean muscle tissue. Not the best idea, huh.
Losing weight is definitely not the easiest thing to do, but if you remember these four simple rules, you’ll never have to start a fad diet again! You can lose weight gradually (remember slow and steady) and keep it off permanently.
- Stay away from processed foods. These foods are crammed with high fructose corn syrup, salt and chemical additives that can cause weight gain, diabetes, heart disease, hypertension and cancer. Yep. This includes those frozen diet meals that some weight loss programs encourage you to buy.
- Leave the sugar alone. Sugar is riddled with calories. If you use it to sweeten foods and beverages everyday, you can easily rack up too many calories and hinder your weight loss efforts.
- Eat enough food. If you’re hungry all the time, you are probably not eating enough food to fuel your body. If you don’t eat enough, your body will hold on to stored fat instead of burning it off. This is not what you want to happen when you’re trying to lose weight.
- Stay hydrated. Water is important when you’re trying to slim down because it helps to metabolize fat and eliminate toxins and stored fat in the body. So drink up!
Where Does Exercise Fit In?When you follow a healthy eating plan, you’ll likely lose weight, even if you don’t workout. However, unless you add exercise into the mix, your metabolism will eventually slow down and you won’t see the results you want.
Your exercise routine should consist of both cardio and weight training. Relax ladies. Training with weights won’t turn you into the Terminator; it will simply help you build muscle mass and sculpt a lean, fierce frame.
Getting in the habit of working out several days week can be tough, especially if you already have a lot on your plate. Choose exercises you enjoy. This way, you’re more likely to stick with a program.
I know what it’s like to want to lose weight fast. I’ve been there and I feel your pain. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to permanent weight loss (believe me, I’ve looked). The best way to achieve long-term weight loss without jeopardizing your health is with proper nutrition and exercise.
Making the decision to lose weight is the first step to looking good and feeling even better.
Watch this video to get advice on the age-old dilemma of, “I need to lose weight and fast.”